Thursday 8 April 2010

Untitled (an ongoing series of objects), 2009

Each 16 x 20 inch wooden box frame, including an acrylic on canvas painting and a 6 x 4 inch postcard.

I sent emails, posted on Facebook, and distributed flyers to invite the public to send me an image of their most prized possession. Alongside the image, they were asked to hand write me a postcard which gave details of what the item was. They could be as informative, or as vague as they wanted, and it was up to them as to whether they revealed their name or not. I then painted each object on a plain background, excluding original contexts, and displayed both the painting and postcard in a box frame.
This work was exhibited in Collector-Mania at The Art Organisation, Nottingham.

Number 1.
'Dear Lucie. I have sent you a picture of a ceramic, black cat bookend with one eye. It was made in Taiwan. It was left behind in a house that my grandparents moved into in Wells, in Somerset and I was allowed to keep it. I have kept it for at least ten years. Vee. x'

Number 2.
'My most treasured object is a brass figure of a ballerina. It was my Great Grandmothers, and she gave it to me before she died as she knew I liked it, and it reminded her of me when I used to do ballet when I was younger.'

Number 3.
'This is a candlestick which belonged to my Grandmother in Belgium. It is over 60 years old to my knowledge. From Nickie'

Number 4.
'This is my amazing Dandy Comic collection ranging between the years of 1993 to 2001! I hope you like it. Jamie Martin'

Number 5.
'This is a seal which is part of a watch chain. I found it in Ogwen Bank River. I saw something shiny and picked it up, it must've been lost on the river bed for years. The chain reminds me of the hills and mountains where I grew up and takes me back to my childhood whenever I look at it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment