Friday 9 January 2015

Chef's Menu at Le Champignon Sauvage

So, in November, The Chap decided to take me out for a surprise celebratory dinner (you can read the reasons why in my previous post). I knew we were going out, just I didn't know where, but he assured me that I should probably wear a dress as we weren't going to Nando's.*
*FYI, we never go there. EVER. 

The Chap and surprises don't usually go hand in hand; probably because I'm a pretty good guesser - at least I like to think so - and the fact that he's a rubbish liar. Terrible in fact. He usually has a grin on his face before he's even finished his fictitious statement, and I can spot it a mile off.

This time, however, he was arrogantly keeping it a secret - not a peep - and I even had to get ready and put my coat on before he'd give me a clue. It was obviously somewhere near as it was getting rather close to the 7.30pm table booking he'd instilled in me, and there was no mention of a taxi. Plus he'd prompted me to wear heels; he knows that he'd never hear the end of it if I had to schlep across town in uncomfortable shoes.

The clue was his downfall though; too easy. As soon as I saw the Googled image of a crooked little mushroom, I knew... Le Champignon Sauvage!

I was spoilt by being taken there for a birthday lunch in June, and had since been saying how lovely it would be to go back for dinner some time, but I was certainly not expecting it to be so soon... Especially as we'd only just been to The Hand & Flowers the previous week! The Chap did good. Very good.

We were welcomed with a glass of champagne and some pre-dinner nibbles whilst we looked through the menu. I could've eaten everything. How are you meant to choose? We decided that as it was a special occasion, we'd abandon making a la carte choices and go for the Chef's Menu (which basically meant I would eat everything!).

I won't go into detail; you just have to see it..


Dexter Beef Tartare and Corned Beef, Wasabi Cream, Pickled Shimeji Mushrooms. I could happily eat beef tartare all the time; the addition of wasabi and salty sharp mushrooms made this one one to remember.


Woodpidgeon Breast, Pigeon Pastilla, Beetroot, Pistachios, Beetroot and Rosehip Purée. This, I'm going to say, was the prettiest dish of the night in my eyes. Beetroot makes everything more beautiful.

 

Dived Scallops with Confit Chicken Wings, Baby Parsnips, Woodruff. I don't think I'd ever had scallops and chicken paired together; what have I been doing?!


Next, we were treated to a complimentary lobster and pear dish. So generous of David and Helen, and so delicious.


Pave of Zander, Roasted Lettuce, Sesame Purée, Globe Artichoke. Zander's not a fish I'd ever encountered before - I'd never even heard of it - though The Chap informed me that it wasn't a very pretty fish. Pretty or not, it sure tasted good.


Partridge, Pumpkin Purée, Pickled Butternut Squash, Black Pudding and Chocolate Ganache. Game birds, black pudding and chocolate will always be a perfect match. Possibly my favourite dish of the night... Possibly... I can't choose!


Mango, Thai Spiced Cream, Thai Green Curry Sorbet... Yep, you heard right, THAI GREEN CURRY SORBET. It was a dream.


Chocolate Delice, Milk Ice Cream, Beurre Noisette and Butterscotch. After the last dessert, I wasn't sure how this could top it, but boy was I wrong. Dear Delice, I'm sorry I had my doubts, you were the best ending to an incredible dining experience.

With full tummies and rosy red wine cheeks, the pair of us left with a definite feeling of smugness; we're lucky to have such an outstanding restaurant right on our doorstep. I only wish we could visit more often.

The Chef's Menu is priced at £85pp; 7 courses, plus canapés, an amuse bouche, bread, and a pre dessert. Worth every penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment