Monday 6 April 2015

Ross & Ross Pop Up at The Straw Kitchen


A couple of weeks ago, Saturday 21st March, The Chap and I ventured up to the North Cotswolds for dinner. We wouldn't usually travel almost an hour for dinner without having somewhere to stay, but this was a bit different.

Ross & Ross, those lovely chaps who feed me their 10 hour slow roasted lamb shoulder with salsa verde every year at the Cheltenham Food & Drink Festival, were hosting a pop up. I managed to miss the first one so made every effort to get in quick on the tickets for the second event at a "secret location". Turns out, it was at the same venue as before, Whichford Pottery's Straw Kitchen, but I'm kind of glad about that; after seeing the gorgeous photos Dan Walker took at the last one, I was desperate to see the place for myself (and FYI their scrawled out blackboard menu sounds like it'd be worth a return trip!).


Photo Credit: Dan Walker
There were three "social eating tables" inside the Straw Kitchen, which is perfect for pop up supper club style things. However, two large groups had booked tickets, and there were only a handful of us who didn't know anyone else; sat on a table all together, it kind of felt as though we were gatecrashing someone's birthday party! It didn't matter too much, we made good conversation with another couple who were getting married, and had also enquired about Ross & Ross's wedding catering!

Photo Credit: Dan Walker
For £35 per person, we had a 5 courses and it was BYOB. The Chap got lucky and I was designated driver for the night, so we arrived armed with two bottles of already opened wine (oops) and a couple of Fentimans soft drinks to keep me entertained, though I was pretty envious every time I heard a prosecco cork pop!

The menu was 'Spring' themed, and each course sounded right up my street. That said, I'm still a little gutted that I didn't get to try the scotch egg that everyone was banging on about after the last event. Social media was full of pictures of those runny yolked beauties! And apologies for the crappy pictures - a single tea light was never going to produce a good photo.

Photo Credit: Ross & Ross
We started with Jerusalem Artichoke & Morel Soup; thick, earthy and its overall brown-ness was brightened up with a vivid orange nasturtium flower. Since Waitrose have started stocking those little knobbly artichokes, I've been buying them at every opportunity; thankfully I'm not sick of them, and this was a great start to the evening.

An intriguing 'Chicken Lollipop' was next, which was essentially like a refined, more flavoursome KFC. Big spices on the crispy coating were tamed down with an accompanying sweet-sticky-glazed chicken wing. I remember watching Rebecca Seal revealing how to eat a chicken wing in a clean, lady-like fashion. Alas, I couldn't remember how she did it, so I just went down the messy, all over my fingers and face route.



The Falafel with Tahini & Basil Dip was a favourite dish amongst many. Too often people try to unnecessarily pimp up falafel - if it ain't broke, don't fix it - I'm glad to report Ross & Ross' falafel were perfect.


Our main course was a plump piece of Grimsby Smoked Cod Loin, Brown Shrimp Butter Sauce, Purple Sprouting and Pea Puree. Excellent springtime fare, and my fave course of the night. With all this sustainable fish jazz that's been going on in recent years, I'd kind of fallen out of favour with cod in trying to buy a broader range, but I think I shouldn't shun ye olde faithful in future.


A duo of desserts rounded the evening off; first a Poached Rhubarb & Vanilla Custard Crunch, which was ACE. I only wish my little pot was twice the size, the firm but sweet pink rhubarb partnered with the vanilla flecked custard and crumble topping is my idea of heaven. The Hot Chocolate & Orange Pudding was tasty too, and I breathed a sigh of relief when I put my spoon in and the middle was still molten, but it really was all about the rhubarb.


We retired to the sofas in front of the log burner, with a coffee in hand, before hitting the road. It was such a lovely evening, and time went so quickly. Ross & Ross sure know how to host a decent pop up, and I'll be keeping an eye out for future events!

P.S. Did you notice the gorgeous crockery? I'd happily have some of those Whichford Pottery plates in my kitchen!
P.P.S. Check out the rural-chic toilet!...


2 comments:

  1. Love your foodie write-ups! I got the train to Bristol on Saturday to try the pop-up Bar Buvette, to find it had popped down the weekend before! But keep me posted on any other good pop-ups to try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! They went back to France!! Did you go anywhere nice whilst you were there? I'll keep my eyes peeled for fun stuff! Xx

      Delete