Wednesday 11 August 2010

Impromptu Travels

It was a spur of the moment trip back to Brussels a couple of weeks ago. I took my paints and sat in my brother's apartment for most of each day painting new Polaroids, which was a nice change of scenery.

I also paid the photography museum a visit, which was housed in a fantastic Art Nouveau building. I stumbled across a fab photographer, Philippe Herbert, and I even picked up a couple of postcards of his photos for inspiration. This one (right) was my favourite. Taken from his Bruxelles Europe series.

I was only home for a couple of days before I zoomed off up north to Newcastle, or South Shields to be precise. I visited family, had fish & chips by the sea, and managed to squeeze in a few hours at The Baltic. If anyone gets a chance to go, I'd definitely reccommend it. Tomas Saraceno's black elasticated web-like installation was as beautiful as ever. I saw a much larger piece by him at the Venice Biennale, and also in New York. However, it was Cornelia Parker's Perpetual Canon that stood out most; 60 silver brass band instruments squashed flat and suspended mid-air, and lit by a single bulb.

Think it's time to stop galavanting, and do some work...

No comments:

Post a Comment